Thursday, January 9, 2014

This is a post about the night life and school.

Night life and school go hand in hand like being single and being bitter.
I don't even know what that means.
It's just my favorite thing to say.
Whatever. LEGGO.

Alrightie guys, so Wednesday. A day of classes and a night of going out.  Let's start at the beginning. Wednesday didn't start out too hot.  I get to UPV (UniversitĂ© Paul ValĂ©ry) only to find out from our good friend Sam that there was a big, old flub with scheduling. Long story short, I was an hour and half early for class and since my class was now later, I had to drop my other night class, International Crises and Equilibrium of Powers.  Shoot.  Really, though, I thought it sounded super duper interesting, but things, I believe, worked out for the best.  We'll get to that later. Let's start a new paragraph about school.

School.  So class today. Class today was La Grammaire.  I ended up testing into the highest level which I was super excited about because grammar is my homeboy. That is the life that I am about. (I'm editing this and realizing I said I love grammar and proceeded to end a sentence with a preposition. Who am I. Also, neeeerd.) Class went very well.  It was some easy review over different pronouns and pronominal verbs. We went at a fairly fast clip, so I'm excited to see what this class has in store for me.  Let's talk other classes now.  Earlier this week I had Internship class and Multiculturalism class. Also today I had Methodology.  I've quite a bit to say about all these classes, but they each deserve their own blog, which will come later, and honestly I want to blog about the night life already. YEAH!

Gotta represent America, right?

Okay guys, in my defense, I actually looked more French wearing this because the American flag is kind of a common pattern to wear here, like I saw a girl the other day with a stars 'n stripes scarf. So bam, reverse psychology, I win. Anyway.  As I said earlier, my schedule got all wonky and I missed my class. Dangit.  This worked out bien, though, because now I was able to accompany Sam and Madeline to the store.  Oh yeah. We went to the store because we decided to stay in town for dinner instead of making the 40 minute trip home to eat and then returning.  Forgot to mention that.  So store.  We bought, for about 5€ each: two baguettes, charcuterie meats (sausage, peppered ham, various pork meats), yogurt, lychee fruit, and two bottles of wine.  We then headed to Madeline's petit but lovely observatoire pour eating. Two hours later, full of bread, wine, and wonderful conversation, we decided to make our way to la fontaine to meet the rest of the program people.

Baby. Oh. Baby. Look at us. Wut.

Imagine it: 2014. Place de la Comedie, the largest square in Europe.  And 40 Americans congregated right in the middle.  Not conspicuous at all.  So we split into groups. Smart thinkings.  Luckily all my closest friends were in my group, except Cate. Damnit Cate.  She's short, and hilarious, and kind of like a cartoon character and we like her.  Anyway. Our group was still pretty bomb.com. We also got this girl Erica in our group.  She's kind of like a female version of me.  But like the + version.   We were a force with which to be reckoned.  Shouting, loud voices, cackling laughter, hips thrusting everywhere, Montpellier didn't know what hit it. And that was before the bars.  Vraiment, we had a great time, all of us! The whole reason for tonight was a social activity put on by the program to become familiar with the night life and meet les jeunes, the French young folk. I met one.  Go me.  Her name was Claire, and she was fun to chat with.  Anwyay, we did a tour of about 4 different bars, having drinks and a good time at each.  As you all probably know, the drinking age here is 18, so for some of the students this was their first time in a bar, as was the case for our Sam, Sandie, and Paige. Look at us.

Order: Erica, Madeline, Sam, Moi, et Paige.  And little Sandie up front.

So people of America.  That picture there?  Those are gonna be my people this semester. I've already decided they're perfect and going to be my best friends, and well, there's no way out of that once I make up my mind.  You's in for life.  Unfortunately for them, they got to see what kind of... lovely person I am last night.  Up til now, I've had a great time, but comparatively, I've been fairly reserved to how I normally carry myself.  You know loud, weird, somewhat inappropriate and awkward me.  So these poor souls saw what I can really be like last night after a bit o' dranking.  Good thing I've fooled them into liking me already.  I'm excited to just be weird as all get-out now with them and just really can't wait for the hunky-dory semester that is sure to come.  Yes frackin' please.



No comments:

Post a Comment